New Writing In Various Forms, edited by Michael Blackburn

The Review is now on permanent sabbatical.

Many thanks to those who contributed.

The rest, as the man said, is silence.

Thursday 19 July 2007

A Poem by David Lightfoot

Two Down

2. Liz hears me, disturbed
by this condition (10)

We'd have it done,
I used to boast,
and found it fun
before the toast

had cooled much. I
did clues across
while she would try
the downs. We'd toss

a coin to name
which half was whose
in this shared game
neither could lose.

I used black ink
and she chose blue:
bruised interlink
between us two.

But now it's not
the same: she sits;
I do the lot.
Without her wits

it takes me hours
but I don't mind -
with all these flowers
and Nurse so kind.


David Lightfoot is a retired Deputy Head and a former founder/editor of Seam magazine. His most recent collection of poems is Wounds Heal (Rockingham).

No comments: